A hailstorm can wreak havoc on your roof, causing significant damage that may not be immediately visible. Knowing what to do and what not to do in the aftermath of such a storm is crucial for ensuring your roof’s long-term integrity and your home’s safety.
- Hire a Professional: It’s wise to have a professional roofing contractor inspect your roof. They can identify hidden damage that may not be apparent to the untrained eye. A professional assessment will ensure that all issues are addressed.
- Document the Damage: Make sure your contractor is documenting the damage with photographs and notes. This documentation will be crucial when filing an insurance claim.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Reach out to your insurance company as soon as possible. Most policies cover hail damage, but the process can be time-sensitive. Provide them with the documentation you’ve collected.
- Temporary Repairs: If you notice leaks or significant damage, consider temporary repairs to prevent further water infiltration. This might involve tarping damaged areas or covering broken skylights.
- Maintain Records: Keep detailed records of all communications with your insurance company, contractors, and repair expenses. This will help ensure a smoother claims process.
- Don’t Delay: Don’t wait to address hail damage. Even small issues can lead to significant problems down the line if left unattended. Addressing the damage promptly is essential.
- Don’t Attempt DIY Repairs: Roof repairs are not a DIY project. Avoid climbing onto your roof to fix damage or assess the situation unless you’re a trained professional. It’s dangerous, and improper repairs can worsen the problem.
- Don’t Sign Contracts Hastily: If you decide to hire a roofing contractor, take your time to review contracts and get multiple estimates. Avoid signing contracts on the spot or paying large sums upfront in order to protect your roof and your wallet.
- Don’t Ignore Interior Damage: Hail damage can extend beyond the roof. Check your interior for water stains, leaks, or signs of damage, and address them promptly.
- Don’t Assume Damage is Cosmetic: Even if the damage appears minor, don’t assume it’s merely cosmetic. Hail can cause structural damage that may not be immediately evident. A professional inspection is crucial.
Dealing with roof damage after a hailstorm requires a combination of prompt action, safety, and professional expertise. By following these dos and don’ts, you can ensure that your roof is properly assessed and repaired, protecting your home and your peace of mind. Roof damage is not something to take lightly and addressing it responsibly can save you from more significant problems in the long run. Schedule your free inspection with one of our expert Roof Advisors today!